Instagram has become so much more than just a picture-sharing social media site. In the last few years, the platform has expanded the ways of growth on Instagram, where business owners, content creators, and marketers can garner attention for their products and services.
Talking about opportunities, a blue check on Instagram opens up more ways to grow your business by giving you more exposure on the platform. However, you have to work hard to achieve that status symbol. The good news is you can also get verified on Instagram by following the right strategy.
If you are seeking answers to the questions like “How do I get verified on Instagram?” Or “Why am I not verified on Instagram?” Or “Where did I go wrong?”, you have come to the right place.
In this guide, you’ll see how to apply for an Instagram verification badge and some effective tips to help you qualify for the same.
What does it mean to be verified on Instagram?
The blue checkmark, also known as the Instagram verified sticker, appears next to the account name in searches and when the account owner comments on posts. The badge proves that your Instagram account is the authentic presence of a celebrity, notable public figure, or global brand.
You must have seen many verification badges on Twitter or Facebook. These badges are to indicate that the platform has confirmed the concerned account as trustworthy or that they are who they say they are.
The main purpose behind these badges is to make the accounts stand out from the crowd so that users can know they’re following the right brand or person.
Instagram first allowed users to request verification in August 2018. Since then, Instagram considers a lot of factors to determine whether or not to grant the request for verification. Those applying for verification must be public figures, such as celebrities, brands, or influencers, to receive the blue verification badge.
Who is eligible to get a verification badge?
Anyone who is a public figure can apply for the verification badge. However, Instagram is very specific to pick the account for verification. So, if you’re running an account that is quite notable and you are wondering whether you meet the criteria, here’s how you can get assured.
First of all, just because you have a blue checkmark on Facebook or Twitter doesn’t guarantee that you will get one on Instagram. Instagram is very specific and believes only celebrities or public figures get verified badges on the platform. Or, in simple words, only accounts that are more likely to get impersonated.
To get verified on Instagram, your account must meet the following criteria :
- Unique – Only one account per person or brand can get verified on Instagram. Language-specified accounts are an exception here.
- Authentic – You should be a real person, registered brand, or business to get the verification badge. You can’t get a meme page or fan account verified.
- Complete – Your account should be complete with bio, profile picture, and posts. Moreover, your account cannot have an “add me” link on any other social media platform.
- Public – Account has to be public to get verified on Instagram; private accounts can’t apply for verification.
- Notable – Though this criterion is subjective, according to Instagram, the account should be well-known and highly-searched or featured in various news sources.
If you’re confident that you meet all the criteria, it’s time that you apply for an Instagram verification badge.
What are the advantages of getting verified on Instagram?
Getting the Instagram verification badge has several benefits that make all the efforts worthwhile. These benefits include :
- The checkmark shows the exclusivity of your brand.
- With an Instagram verification badge, you prevent all the copycats. So, when anyone searches for your brand or account, they can easily recognize you with the help of a verification badge. This way, you won’t lose any potential followers to fan accounts, parody accounts, or imitators.
- Getting a verification badge will also show that your account or brand has appeared in several independent news sources and that you or your organization are notable.
- If you’re an influencer, more brands would want to work with you as they prefer to work with verified accounts.
- Verified Instagram accounts always rank above the non-verified ones, so this is always icing on the cake.
- Accounts with verification badges also get special access to some special features on Instagram. This includes a swipe-up feature on Instagram stories which otherwise require any brand to have 10,000 followers to get the feature.
Now that you know all the benefits of getting verified on Instagram, let’s see how to apply for it :
Step 1 – Log in to your Instagram account
The first step is to log in to your Instagram account and if you own more than one, log in to the account you want to get verified.
Step 2 – Apply for verification
- After logging into your Instagram account, tap the Menu button on the top right corner and open the Settings icon.
- In the Settings menu, tap the Accounts icon.
- Now, look at the bottom and request verification.
Step 3 – Fill in the application form
Fill in the necessary details:
Full Name – This should be your actual and legal name that appears on every government-issued ID.
Known As – Here, you can enter other names people know you as. This could be your brand’s name or any other popular name.
Category – You can choose from a variety of Instagram categories but make sure you pick one related to your Instagram account. These categories include – entertainment, influencer/ blogger, sports, news/ media, politics/ government, business /brand /organization, or other.
- Now upload your government-issued photo identification or official business documents. If you are an influencer or individual, you can use an ID card, passport, or driver’s license.
If you are applying for a business, you can use your articles of incorporation, utility bill with your company name, or a tax return. While doing this, make sure the name you entered matches the name on your document.
- Once you’ve completed all the details and checked everything, click on the send button.
And this was it. Once Instagram has reviewed your request, they will inform you whether or not your application has been granted. You will get a reply within a few days. Due to the past history with scammers, Instagram will never email you, ask for money or reach out in any other manner.
The answer will be either yes or no without any explanation.
Even if you don’t get verified on Instagram, don’t lose hope; here are a few tips you can use to ensure your chances.
Tips to improve the chances of getting verified on Instagram
Get more followers –
Though there’s no specified number of followers, you need to get verified on Instagram, but you need plenty of them. It’s not directly related, but it will get you more engagement and make you noteworthy.
Become Newsworthy –
Another crucial criterion for getting verified on Instagram is being newsworthy. You can achieve this by getting your name in the news. For this, you can send out press releases or contact local news agencies to get your name in the media.
Optimize your profile and bio –
Instagram’s requirements to apply for verification is a complete bio and at least one post on your profile. But you don’t only want to meet it, you want to ace it.
Optimizing your bio will create a positive impact on the verification team and can increase your chances of getting verified. Apart from this, optimizing your profile has several other benefits like getting more followers, shares, likes, etc.
Increase your engagement –
Another way to increase the chances of getting verified on Instagram is by getting your followers involved. High engagement is considered a signal of authenticity.
Post consistently –
Posting consistently creates more awareness among your audience and makes you more searchable. Even if you don’t get the badge, posting high-quality content will always get you phenomenal results.
Do not give up after being turned down –
Even if, after all the hard work, the response comes as a no, don’t lose hope. Build an effective Instagram strategy and try to increase your follower count.
Wrapping Up the Guide
Getting verified on Instagram comes with its own perks. With all the stated information, you can form a strategy and work to achieve your goal. Make sure you don’t fall for false claims or people who say they can get you the verification mark for some money, or if they say they are selling it. None of these are possible, and you can only get verified by the above-mentioned process.
Whether you get the badge or not, all the dedicated efforts will help you build a strong following on the platform.